Skip to main content
Start of menu
Search United Kingdom website
Close Menu

Have you got everything?

Preparing mind, body - and passport - for an amazing trip

Is it safe?

Check your destination with the Foreign Office to see if it’s safe, and anything else you need to know, like local laws and customs.

Foreign Office Travel Advice by Country

Do you need a visa or ETSA?

Depending on the length of your stay or your personal circumstances, all kinds of countries may ask for a visa. Check with the Foreign Office to be on the safe side.

Foreign Office Travel Advice by Country

Is your passport valid?

Check your passport’s got plenty of time left on it (some countries insist you have at least six months left). Find out how to renew your passport here.

Renewing or extending your passport

Order currency online now

Some local currencies may need ordering in advance – and depending on your destination you might need travellers cheques or US dollars as backup.

Order currency online now

Packing your bag...

Essential items you won't find in the hotel shop.

Health supplies

Medications, glasses, contact lenses, first aid kit

Travel documents

Passport, visa, ticket or booking confirmation, insurance, vaccination certificates

Useful numbers

The Embassy or Consulate, your airline and American Express support numbers.

And don't forget...

  • Phone and charger
  • Voltage adapters
  • Money (and your American Express Card, of course).

What is Advice Passenger Information, or API?

For security reasons, your airline might need to collect certain details on who’s travelling – for example passport number, name and date of birth. This varies from country to country and shouldn’t affect your journey, although it’s something to be aware of.

You can find more details here.

Are you insured?

As a Cardmember, you may have some travel insurance in place already. Check the details in case you need to add extra cover for certain sports, valuables, healthcare or anything else relevant to your trip. EU citizens travelling in the EU can apply for a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which is useful for some things, but doesn’t replace insurance.

American Express Travel Insurance About the EHIC card

Do you need vaccinations?

Ask your GP or nurse if you need vaccines or medication for your trip. Some countries need a certificate for your passport too.

Fit for Travel

Can I take it in my hand luggage?

Check with your airline. Some items (for example sharp objects, liquids above a certain amount) may not be allowed in the cabin with you.

What about DVT? (Deep Vein Thrombosis)

Deep Vein Thrombosis is a rare blood clotting disorder that has been known to happen on flights. Luckily, there are some simple ways to reduce the risks.

Fit for Travel

Are you ok to travel?

Pregnancy, recent surgery, epilepsy and fractures are some of the conditions that can affect your fitness to travel, so if you’re in any doubt at all, please check with your GP.

Fit for Travel

Last thoughts

Remember, you should never fly if you've been scuba diving in the last 40 hours, had an anaesthetic or dental treatment in the last 48 hours, or given blood in the last 24 hours.

If in doubt, always check with your nurse or GP.

And finally...enjoy your trip!

ABTA Member
American Express Europe LLC (AEELLC) trading as American Express Travel, Belgrave House, 76 Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1W 9AX, United Kingdom is a member of ABTA (ABTA number C4330) and ATOL (ATOL number 0151). Being a member of ABTA (ABTA number C4330) means you have the benefit of ABTA’s assistance and Code of Conduct and this allows you to book with confidence. All the package and Flight-Plus holidays we sell are covered by a scheme protecting your money if the supplier goes out of business or is no longer able to provide the intended holiday. Other services such as hotels or flights on their own may not be protected and you should ask us what protection is available. American Express’s ABTA membership does not cover cruise bookings and should therefore not be relied upon when booking cruises or cruise packages. These bookings are covered by our third-party provider, ICE Cruise’s ABTA membership (ABTA number L6366). Many of the flights and flight-inclusive holidays on this website are also protected by the ATOL scheme, this ATOL protection does not apply to all holiday and travel services listed on this website. If you do not receive an ATOL Certificate then the booking will not be ATOL protected. If you do receive an ATOL Certificate but all the parts of your trip are not listed on it, those parts will not be ATOL protected. Please see our booking conditions for information, or for more information about financial protection and the ATOL Certificate go to: Please contact us to confirm what protection may apply to your booking.
Your secure session will be closed due to inactivity. Would you like to extend your session?
Extend Session
Your login has expired. Would you like to re-login?
Continue as guest
Your American Express login has expired and you must login again to continue.